Over the past few days, I’ve had the fortune, or misfortune, of learning about website hosting quality. In the past, I’ve been “spoiled” and had always used one company. However, for various reasons, we needed to add some new sites and learned the painful way, how even a host with a “good reputation” can be a pain in your nalgas.
Seriously, all we wanted to do is to give Tamale Chica a different home. Instead, I wasted about 3 days of time that would have been better spent doing other things. The final straw was when I received an email this morning from the “tech support” of the unnamed “wedriveyoucrazy.com” hosting company. I asked if there was anything else I needed to do besides change the nameservers when pointing a second domain to the same location (and I gave an example). I received a link to a document about WordPress settings, which had nothing to do with the problem. Since this was the 4th time I’ve had poor or useless customer service help, I decided it was time to bid them adieu.
When we tried to forward the domain or change the nameservers, nothing would allow tamalechica.com to be found. This is something I’ve done plenty of times with the Registrar for other hosting sites, but for whatever odd reason, this was very problematic with “wedriveyoucrazy.com.”
So amazingly, within 4 hours of deciding to leave “wedriveyoucrazy.com” webhosting, I’m 95% done with the changes to the make this move complete. This included the 1.5 hours I had to wait, to have my domain registrar’s change to the DNS settings be propagated through the internet. All in all, taking that into account, that’s pretty decent (2.5 hours) for complete migration and having everything work again, FINALLY.